Friday, November 7, 2008

7.

First off, sorry about the downer of a #6 entry yesterday. Part of my Crazy (you know, the quirks and foibles that make me who I am – and, most likely, make me a person that is hated by some) is that I tend to have a hard time stepping out of the proverbial box and going, “Oh, the reason that I feel desperate/fruitless/unable to control the whirling dervish of Cup-Half-Empty is really just because I am tired of the work week, the daily grind, the automated way Monday through Thursday feels, etc. etc.”

I think Daylight Savings Time doesn’t help, either. Daylight Savings never ceases to amaze me in how quickly you go from that blissful weekend with the extra hour, to “Oh. It’s 4:30, I’m still at work, and it’s pitch-black outside, so therefore I can no longer focus on anything work-related” ennui.

So anyways.

P.S. - I cannot use the word ennui without thinking of Neville:



******

This weekend is shaping up to be one of those where I'll be running all over the greater Chicagoland area. Tomorrow, I'm headed to
my friend Alyssa's baby shower. I have yet to buy a gift. I'm waiting for tonight, because Alyssa plans to use gDiapers, and I have to go to Whole Foods to get them. I love going to Whole Foods, and ogling at all the stuff that is about nine million dollars more expensive than the same exact stuff at Trader Joe's. Steve and I will probably head out of there with the gDiapers PLUS a quarter-pound of some ridiculously overpriced deli salad, just because it was there, for nine million dollars a pound. At least, that's historically how our (infrequent) (because we're poor) Whole Foods trips have gone down.

Sunday, I'm trying on wedding gowns. I can not stress to you enough how much I don't want to do this. A friend of mine is (hopefully) making my dress, and she is a lot more like-minded to what I'm thinking of for my dress than, say, mother f'n David's Bridal. But the idea is that I will go try on some dresses, see what looks great and what looks like poo, and with what I found out we will try to fashion a dress. Blech.

The real reason that we're going to a wedding dress superstore, though, is to look at bridesmaids' dresses. I have five bridesmaids, who are such incredibly different sizes and shapes (One's 5'11"! One's 4'11"!) that it would look totally awful if they were all in the same dress. SO, I am picking a color from a bridal superstore, and they can get whatever style dress they want, as long as it's in that color. I would like to see the colors in person, though, before I go asking my friends to spend money on a dress for me and my "special day." See? When you say it out loud, don't weddings sound like complete crap?


So, yeah.

I guess I should probably do some work now. I have a midterm due on Tuesday, that asks ridiculous questions such as" "What does Social Studies mean to you? What? How do you answer that? I feel like this is high school, and I'm being quizzed about why I want to join the cheerleading team.

3 comments:

giddy girlie said...

I don't know if they have places everywhere, but when I was planning my wedding, I went to a gown rental shop. Which was enlightening. I tried on all these princess-y kind of dresses and decided that I looked ridiculous. But it was a great budget saver. The week long rental (so you can take pictures before and after) was something like $200 for the most frou frou ones. I ended up buying a prom dress in white for under $100 with tailoring from a local dressmaker. So you're definitely on the right track with trying stuff on instead of just photoshopping your head on a bridal magazine. :) It's surprising how many things are gorgeous but make you feel so silly.

emily said...

Oh, I bet! I feel like a tool in most dresses, I can only imagine what one that looks like a cupcake would do to me.

I have crazy rules about it, too: NO BEADING. NO FLUFF. NO CRAZY-TOWN BOWS. Which, apparently, makes my friend who may be designing it incredibly happy, because she doesn't bead, hates fluff, and thinks bows are too much.

yeahdog said...

Excellent Edward Gorey reference :)