Saturday, February 17, 2007

One reason to bring my mom in through the front door.

So we're doing some intense cleaning around the house (as in, we've been living in squalor for the past, oh, two weeks or so), and Steve's relegated to taking out the trash (I don't like to touch it).

Outside my kitchen door is an enclosed back porch. It's unheated, and holds stuff like the Christmas tree and boxes for moving, and bags of trash during the week, when we're too tired to take them to the garbage can. You have to go through this porch to get to my deck.

Well, when I moved here the enclosed porch sort of creeped me out, because there is a Frightening Dark Staircase that leads to a Frightening Boarded-Up Door, so Steve put an extra lock on my kitchen door so noone can get in. This has come in handy many times, especially because my landlord used to let the neighborhood homeless guy, Smokey (sometimes I refer to him as my "Homeless Doorman"), store some of his stuff in a closet in the enclosed porch. Smokey's a nice guy - and speaks fluent Polish, which I envy - but I don't really want him to come into the house, you know how it is.

OK, to finish up this story, while I was washing the dishes, Steve came in, tapped me on the shoulder, and said, "Ummm, have you ever noticed this?"



Stuck into one of the walls of the enclosed porch is a knife. Doesn't look like a switchblade - it's more of the steak knife variety - but yes, it's definitely stuck right into the wall.

No, I hadn't noticed it. And I'm quite glad that my man put that extra lock on the door.

And also, I love this town!

****

The night before last I had absolutely INSANE dreams. Most of them were of the Real Life With Just One Strange Tweak variety, which I seem to have all the time, but there was one that was certifiably a Fucking Scary Nightmare. I don't remember much of it, other than I was in a scenario sort of similar to this film.

I trudged into work completely exhausted and, thus, a total wastoid. I don't think I got one work-related thing done. It was good that this happened on a Friday and all, because everyone left early and didn't really rely on me for much.

The one shining light of my day was that I read Jek's blog all the way through. I LOVE THAT WOMAN. I've been looking at her totally great, color-saturated, crafty photos on her Flickr page, but I had never read her blog before. She's so cute, and upbeat, and funny, and....well anyways I really needed it yesterday. And she has another blog that has all of her awesome craft ideas. I put them both in my links list, if you ever need a pick-me-up. Jek, if I'm ever in your neck of the woods, I'm totally going to look you up, and, I don't know, glue some stuff with you or something.

****

I best get back to cleaning. But before I do, can I just say that this XM radio that I got for Steve for Valentines day - you know, the one that I had to ask about because I didn't know what the hell it was, is A-W-E-S-O-M-E. If I could just have the forties music channel and that was it, I would love it just as much. All these great songs about meloncholy babies, how great it is to be in the navy, etc., etc. I mean, come on, they just played Strip Polka! That song rules.

****

Ok, I'm really going to get back to my cleaning now. I am, though, going to leave you with this. Click on the picture, and you'll be sent to probably the best cartoon ever.

.

1 comment:

EEK said...

The knife is very disquieting. That would totally bother me too. I hope it doesn't give you night terrors.