Friday, February 9, 2007

Friday Night Lists

Hey Internet. It's Friday night, and I'm totally in my PJs. Hardcore! Rock on!

****

First of all, as an aside….is anyone else totally captivated by this last chapter of Anna Nicole Smith's biography? What a sad, ridiculous life. I have to admit, I enjoyed her show on E! immensely. I would put it right up there with my other guilty TV pleasures that have had the potential to totally obliterate my indie cred: "Newlyweds," "Real World," "The OC," and most anything on CourtTV.

****

Sarah Brown recently wrote an entry about the products that she uses on a daily basis. I was intrigued, mostly because historically I have never had loyalties to products. This is for many reasons, such as:

1) I have normal hair that is stick-straight and very rarely unruly.

2) I have never (knock on wood) had a hideous acne problem. I have one or two from time to time, that's it.

3) My skin seems to maintain it's own moisture quite well.

4) I could use a use makeup that costs $50 or $5, and I would pretty much end up looking the same with either - Astonishingly Average in Every Way.

That list was longer than I wanted it to be, but you see where I'm going with this.

However, I've noticed that lately I have become loyal to certain products, jewelry, shoes, etc., more than I ever have. This might be because I now officially live on my own, with no roommates or parents to assume some of the cost of living, so I have become incredibly Cheap. I haven't bought much of anything for myself lately....except that DS Lite. But whatever.

Moving on.

So I thought about it, and I made a list of stuff that I nevereverever leave my home without. Just for you, Internet. In the spirit of EEK's entry about losing her virginity with it's open discussion on how we all knocked boots for the first time, I encourage you guys to let me know what you can't live without. And by you guys, I mean the maybe four of you that I know for sure read this. Trust me, four is a stretch.

Can't Live Without
Neutrogena's Oil-Free Acne Wash – Like I said before, I have minimal acne problems. But, being the glutton-for-punishment that I am, I sort of like that just-ripped-the-upper-layer-of-your-face-off feel that you get from salicylic acid. Enter: Neutrogena's Oil-Free Acne Wash. I just put a little on my hands, lather, pat on my face and rinse off, right before I get out of the shower. If I miss this step, I will feel grubby for the rest of the day. Probably because that top layer of skin from the day before is still hangin' on.

Neutrogena Moisture Oil-Free Formula – The only facial moisturizer I've ever used that I don't feel for the rest of the day, and doesn't make me nauseous from the smell (it doesn't smell like anything).

Burt's Bees Milk and Honey Lotion – Ok, this is probably the item that is the whole reason for this entry. I felt like I found the Holy Grail when I discovered this stuff. I have always wanted to lotion up daily, you know, for those random moments in my swingin' 20s lifestyle when I'm thrust into an impromptu CrazySexyMoment, and need to be baby-soft. That's never happened, actually, but if it ever did, I'd want to be ready. I had never found lotion that was light enough and non-smelly for every-day use. Also, I hate unscented lotions. I think unscented lotions smell foul. With Burt's Bees, you smell nice (Like milk! And honey!) for a little bit, and then it dissipates, but still leaves you moisturized. I actually have to jump into my pants pretty quickly after putting it on, because the dog likes the taste, and will start to lick my feet and ankles. The dog likes it, people!

Burt's Bees Raspberry or Strawberry Lip Gloss – I have both. If I can't find one or the other in my purse, I will turn the car around and go home and get it. My friend Erin is a firm follower of the Lemon-Lime flavor, but I'm not so into that one, myself, and I pretty much hate any cherry flavored item. Strawberry or Raspberry. All the way. Just make sure you screw the top of the jar on tight – I did have one of them open in my purse. Bad, waxy scene.

Could Live Without, But Why:
My Elsa Peretti "enlongated teardrop" ring from Tiffany's. Bought it as a treat for myself. It is the most comfortable ring in the world. It will continue to grace my right hand even when the left is taken up by engagement bling, whenever that might be.

My cowboy boots. I love them them dearly. If I had four feet, I'd wear both pairs at once. I like to just look at them sometimes.

****

So, Internet, what can't you live without?

4 comments:

Bev Sykes said...

My "can't live without" list is pretty short. My computer (it died this afternoon, briefly, and I realized that I really CAN'T live without it), television (I can't deny it--I'm addicted), the opal pendant someone I love very much had made for me and that's about it. No product loyalty, nothing more complicated than soap and water and shampoo (whatever smells nice), no make-up, no nothing like that. I'm a simple, uncomplicated person when it comes to "stuff."

Anonymous said...

Did you get back from Chambana? Have any scary stories to tell? On makeup - girls look better without caking on the foundation. I think I feel that way because my sisters and mother don't wear makeup... you're pretty without it

Shannon said...

jeff's seems to have forgotten the time he played painter-extraordinaire with my makeup brushes and lancome kit. "this stuff is AMAZING" he said, as he caked loose powder over my eyelids. i can't live without flinstones vitamins, lancome aqua fusion face lotion and fayreform bras. bras are a gift from god.

great to find your blog em! :)

hi from egypt,

shannon

EEK said...

Thanks for the shout out. Here's my list:

1. Lip gloss (I like the Burt's Bees Honey flavor).
2. Netflix
3. Peapod
4. Essie Nail Polish
5. The Internet
6. Howard's Wine Store (Belmont & Racine)
7. Newspapers (I prefer the Chicago Trib. I particularly like the jumble.)
8. Fireworks

Okay. Fireworks maybe shouldn't be on the list, because it's not like I possess/frequently utilize an arsenal of fireworks. Still. They're the primary reason that Fourth of July is my favorite holiday.